If you love butternut squash as much as I do then you have got to try this recipe. The overall task will take about an hour and this particular recipe serves 6 people. This dish is high in fiber, 8 grams and also has 7 grams of protein in it. At about 350 calories all of the 8 grams of fat in this dish are of the poly and mono forms so you are good to go. Vegetarian as is, this dish can easily be made vegan by omitting the butter and cheese or by simply using vegan friendly products instead of the dairy ones. Enjoy!!!
Butternut Squash Risotto.
– 4 Cups Vegetable Broth.
– 2 Cups Water.
– 2 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, Divided.
– 1 Butternut Squash, About 3 Lbs. Peeled, Seeded and Cut Into 1/2 Inch Cubes.
– 1 Teaspoon Of Salt, Divided.
– 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Pepper.
– 1/2 Tablespoon Thyme Leaves.
– 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped.
– 1 1/2 Cups Arborio Rice.
– 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine.
– 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter.
– 1/4 Cup Finely Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese.
– Bring Broth And Water To A Simmer In A Saucepan.
-Heat 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil In A NonStick Skillet Over Medium-High Heat. Cook Squash With 1/2 Teaspoon Salt and 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper, Stirring Occasionally, Until Golden In Spots. About 10 Minutes. Stir In Thyme. Add 1/2 Cup Broth Mixture To Skillet, Reduce The Heat and Cook Stirring Occasionally, Until The Squash Is Tender And The Broth Is Evaporated. About 10 More Minutes. Remove From The Heat And Set Aside.
– Meanwhile In a 4 Quart Heavy Pot Over Medium Heat, Cook The Onion In The Remaining 1 1/2 Tablespoons Of Oil With The Remaining 1/2 Teaspoon Of Salt, Stirring Until Softened, About 5 Minutes. Add The Rice And Toss To Coat With The Oil. Cook For 2 Minutes. Add The Wine And Cook Until Almost Totally Absorbed, About 3 Minutes More.
– Stir In 1/2 Cup Simmering Broth Into Rice And Cook At A Strong Simmer, Stirring Constantly And Letting Each Addition Be Absorbed Before Adding More, Until The Rice Is Creamy Looking But Still Al Dente. This Should Take About 20 Minutes Total. The Mixture Should Be The Consistency Of Thick Soup.
– Stir In The Butter, Cheese And Reserved Squash and Serve Immediately.